Just saying the name of this snack sends goosebumps (the good kind) all over my body! Say it with me, “bacon…popcorn” — did you get them, too?
Sure, plenty of bacon popcorn recipes exist, but what makes this particular recipe the knock-off-your-socks kind are these two ingredients: honey & sriracha. When thinking about a Super Bowl recipe to share with you guys, I asked folks on our FB page what they’d like to see. My beautiful friend Elisa commented right away with, “anything spicy!” so I instantly thought of sriracha. I already had bacon in mind, and I asked myself what I would eat if I actually watched (and cared about) the Super Bowl. POPCORN! Now one of my favorite treats to make is candied bacon, but in order to make it a quickie, I decided to skip the whole oven step and just supplement with honey. The combination of sweet, spicy, salty, and crunchy will make ANYONE roll their eyes into the back of their heads. AND when I consulted my good friend Ariyele about this she said, “bacon, honey, and sriracha is the holy trinity!” This, my friends, WILL send you into heavenly bliss.
- ½ cup unpopped corn kernels
- 4 strips of bacon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- salt to taste
- Cut bacon into smaller bits, place in a cold pot (big enough to pop the corn later), bring up the heat to medium and render the fat until crispy
- remove bacon and let drain on a paper towel
- remove excess bacon fat (keep in a jar for next time) and reserve 2-3 tablespoons in the pot
- drop a few kernels and cover pot with a lid. When they begin to pop, add the rest of the kernels and immediately cover
- Constantly shake around the kernels until the popping sounds begin to lessen
- transfer into a large bowl and season with a drizzle of more bacon fat and salt to taste
- in a separate bowl, combine honey and sriracha. Drop in the bacon bits and coat until completely covered
- mix into popcorn and enjoy with a beer!
P.S. this would have been the best popcorn I’ve ever seen, if it weren’t for this: